Monday, February 22, 2010

Spilling the Beans!

I got pretty darn creative spilling the beans to our close family, if I may say so myself:

Shocked (Grand)Mamas
First up were the moms. Even though we saw the double-pink lines on Christmas morning, we kept the news secret (mostly because Kenny didn't trust the accuracy of not one, but two, pregnancy tests). By the following week, we were ready to share, so I tried to organize a dinner with Jill and Judy. My mom wasn't available on the proposed date (little did she know what I had in store), so we planned on dinner New Years Days. We met at my moms, and I had found adorable frames at Michael's with a rhinestone-adorned baby carriages in the corner. Inside the frame I declared "Baby Morris Goes Here". The moms opened them at the same time but had very different reactions: my mom's jaw dropped and she covered her mouth in shock, and Judy jumped up off the couch screaming "We're Gonna Be Grandmas!" My step-dad Michael was there too to observe the craziness. It was so fun to watch and luckily we had a video camera to catch it all on tape. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYEEXeZCICA.

ANOTHER baby blanket?
My grandparents were out of town when all this went down, so of course I anxiously awaited their return to tell them in person. Enid and Mel showed up at our house for dinner on a Saturday night and my grandma immediately agreed to a glass of wine. I knew I had to break the news fast! I handed her a wrapped box and told her we had a late Chanukah present for her. She opened it, and just like my mom, her jaw dropped. Inside the box was a cross-stitch blanket kit, and on it I had written a note "I hope you can finish this by September." Memaw makes a baby blanket for all the new babies in the family (and usually complains about how much work it is), so I wanted to be sure she had plenty of time for this one. Bubba Mel was sitting next to her asking, "What? What?" and finally she showed him the card. He shockingly asked, "You're pregnant??!!" and his jaw dropped too.

"Uncle Colton"
I felt awful keeping the news from my dad and Stephanie, who have a newborn of their own. But I had the perfect plan and couldn't execute it until the all-important prop arrived via UPS. I ordered a onesie (made of organic cotton, of course) from cafepress.com and had it printed with "Uncle Colton" on the front and "Baby Uncle" on the back. When it finally arrived, I nonchalantly stopped by for a visit at my dad's. After cooing over the baby for awhile, I said, oh "I have a gift for Colton". My dad opened it and looked at it for a second and said, "thank you." He didn't get it! Stephanie's eyes got huge and said, "does this mean you're pregnant?!" I nodded and my dad stared at me in disbelief. He couldn't believe his ears, and is sooo thrilled Colton will have a playmate (or at least someone to pick on!) Throughout the night he kept saying, I don't believe it, this is a dream, I'm going to wake up soon. It was all very heartwarming:

To LA to Break the News...
We thought it was a great opportunity to share the news with my grandma Pat in LA when my mom was there for a weekend visit. I was in Las Vegas for work and called to say "hi" (or so Pat thought). While I was on the phone, my mom pulled up the video of her and Judy's scream fest on YouTube and showed it to Grandma Pat. She was so happy and excited!

It has been be so fun and exciting sharing the news with friends and family as time has passed and I got closer to the end of first trimester benchmark. I even get nervous before sharing the news sometimes! The easiest way to break the ice is handing someone my ultrasound, which is a little less awkward than just simply declaring, "so, I'm pregnant!" Everyone has been so excited and supportive, and I look forward to sharing the news with even more people (although I can't imagine who doesn't know at this point!).

xoxo!

1 comment:

  1. Hooray!
    My beautiful "Baby Morris" picture frame comes out of hiding today!

    ReplyDelete