Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ruta-whata?

After a long day of traveling on Saturday night (and no sleep the night before --- BOOOO to the late night, live music by the pool outside our balcony at the Sheraton Moana Surfrider), we returned home from Hawaii to an excited bunch of animals (well, at least I like to tell myself that Peri's ruthless attack on my wrist meant she was happy to see me). Then Sunday was my family shower hosted by my grandma, aunt and cousin. Talia Rose kept herself very busy ensuring that every guest in attendance signed the pink stuffed dog for Baby Morris.

The shower was beautiful and I received so many amazing gifts. My grandma rushed to finish the quilt I bought her back in January (see my February 22 "Spilling the Beans!" post) and I got a few other beautiful handmade blankets. I can't believe how talented people are. Here's some of the loot:




Now the problem is, I don't have anywhere to put these things! Right now our office is packed wall to wall with diaper genies, pack n' plays, strollers, car seats, wipe warmers, nursing pads, infant baths and LOTS of pink clothes. Once our nursery ceases to be a construction zone, I can put everything in there, but who knows when that will be. The painters finished painting the walls pink yesterday (yes, PINK! I caved!) so at least we're on to the next step.  The room is filthy so I definitely need to get some help cleaning before any of the precious baby cargo goes inside.

Baby Morris is the weight of "an average rutabaga" this week. A what? I don't know what a rutabaga is, let alone how much it weighs. I'm like, isn't a rutabaga that Jewish pastry? Oh wait, no, that's a rugelach. According to wikipedia, a rutabaga is a "yellow turnip." Baby Morris was the weight of a turnip at 17 weeks! At least I had heard of a turnip before - I just didn't know how much one weighed.

Turnip (17 Weeks)    
                                    
Rutabaga (25 Weeks)

They look they same to me...oh I am so confused. And because my mom gets the Babycenter updates a few days before me, I now know that next week baby is the length of an English hothouse cucumber. I'm sorry - WTF?!

And yes, my midsection has definitely expanded over the last 2 weeks. According to Dr. H, my "fundal height" is right on the money: 25 centimeters at 25 weeks (you can Google "fundal height" if you don't know what it is).

No comments:

Post a Comment